I totally LOST IT this week! I am embarrassed to admit it…PLEASE, DON’T lose it like I did.
Yes, I will admit it. I totally lost it this week. I lost control of my time! YIKES! The good news is I learned a time management tool that took me 7 minutes to learn and I cannot wait to share it with you!
Have you ever heard of the Pomodoro Technique? It is a simple technique to help you manage and get your time back. Here are the materials you need to use it:
– Pen (Pick a fun color or a fun pen to use)
– Sticky Notes (Yay! I love them!!!)
– Work to be completed (we all have LOTS of that!)
– Timer on your phone (Select a cool alarm tone)
Here’s how it works.
- Peel off 3 sticky notes and put them on your desk
- Imagine each sticky note represents 30 minutes of time
- Assign 1 task to each sticky note
- Select the first task that must be completed
- Set your timer for 25 minutes
- Work through your first assignment, challenging yourself to complete it within the 25 minute time frame you have set
- At the end of 25 minutes, review your work for 5 minutes
Essential: Set your timer for 5 minutes and take a 5 minute break before you start your next sticky note task. It is recommended that you leave your workspace, walk around for 5 minutes before you start your next task
What happens if you didn’t complete the task in 25 minutes? No worries, take 5 and re-start the process for another 25 minutes
Things to keep in mind.
- Some tasks may take more than 30 minutes to complete
- Break larger tasks into multiple 30 minute sticky note time blocks – forcing yourself to become even more focused
- Turn off your phone and email notifications during your 30 block of time
- The Pomodoro Technique can also be used for managing the time you spend on things that can be HUGE time goes like reading and responding to email, checking social media, returning phone calls, etc.
My favorite things about this technique are:
- You become hyper-focused – blocking out all distractions
- The visual and tactile features of what you are accomplishing are extremely satisfying i.e.:
Visualizing 30 minute time blocks in the form of sticky notes Crumpling up the sticky notes when you complete a task
- Prioritization of tasks is a must
- You begin to learn how long a task really does take you – important for those who like to calculate their earnings on an hourly rate
The Pomodoro Technique can be used to manage almost every aspect of your day
I challenge YOU to try this technique with me this week. Email me and let me know how much time you saved this week and how much MORE productive you were! I can’t wait to hear YOUR successes!
PS: For more information about The Pomodoro Technique, visit HERE