It’s happened to me. More times than I want to admit. [Cringe] Could it happen to you and your business? You may not even realize it’s happening. That’s the scary part. Read on to learn about Parkinson’s Law and if it is affecting you and your business and how you can stop it.
What is Parkinson’s Law?
In a nutshell, it is the idea that work expands and grows to fill the time available to get it done. What this means is…whether you have 8 hours to get a project or task done or 2 hours, it will take you exactly that amount of time to get it done.
Have you ever noticed when you decided to work on something with no real time constraints, it tends to eat up your entire day? I know I have. In fact, sometimes a simple project or task turns into a long, drawn our ordeal – taking longer to get the job done than it really should. Which probably means, you are dawdling over your work. YIKES! BUT, If you had a tighter deadline, you would get the project done and have the ability to move on to the next project, making your work life more productive.
Wouldn’t that be amazing? Less work, more free-time! How can we stop the Parkinson’s Law from affecting our business life? Below is a list of strategies you can implement starting TODAY!
- Create a targeted list of items that must get done during the day
- Work in focused sprints of 30-40 minutes using the Pomodoro Technique (to learn more click HERE)
- Put phones and devices on do not disturb or airplane mode to limit interruptions and distractions
- Create self-imposed deadlines
- Stop multi-tasking (see why HERE)
- Minimize checking email – email is the source of other people’s agendas…not your own
- Batch like tasks together (find out why HERE)
Your Next Steps…
After reading this blog post, be conscious of how you are working going forward. Are you procrastinating, dawdling, expanding the work to fit a certain time slot or are you making every second count. At the risk of sounding cliche…we all have 24 hours in a day, it’s how we spend them that makes the difference. If we are conscious and efficient with our work hours, we could create more time to spend on the things and the people we love.
How will you work more efficiently this week?