Networking Report Card Check
To ensure your networking activities, style and approach are working, it is important to give yourself a little check up. One of the ways you can do that is by asking yourself a simple question or making this observation:
If you are trying to connect with people and they are NOT trying to connect with you, take notice!
It has probably happened to all of us at one time or another. We have tried and tried to get on a certain person’s calendar but something is always blocking us. Calendar blocking comes in several forms:
- They say they will contact you with possible dates
- Your contact’s assistant shows no available space on their calendar
- They make an appoint but then cancel
And the list goes on.
If you are having difficulty making one-to-one meetings with people, it may be time to re-evaluate your networking strategy. In the re-evaluation phase, you want to look at and tweak the following:
Are you putting yourself out there correctly?
Answer honestly, are you…
- Showing up to networking meetings consistently and on time?
- Dressed professionally and appropriately?
- Prepared? Do you know what you are going to say when it is your turn to speak, do you have enough business cards or hand-outs, have you thought about who you would really like to meet in the room? Do you have a networking plan?
- Interested more about your pitch and selling the room instead of getting to know people?
- Presenting your product and services in the right way?
- Being proactive and scheduling one to one meetings instead of waiting for them to come to you?
- Making networking more about YOU instead of those you meet?
In the end, you ability to connect with people is your Networking Report Card. Pay attention to what your report card is telling you and then make the adjustments necessary to get your efforts back on track.
Networking can be confusing especially if you don’t have a good grasp on a strategy or a plan.
Keep It Local has an Online Academy geared just for you! It’s called Ninja Tips For Networking. This online academy is made up of group coaching sessions lead by networking expert and guru Steve Hopper. You will have access to Steve and his coaching 24/7/365. Learn more about it HERE.
Have a profitable week!